Australia: Tasmania faces worst flooding in decades

flooding

 
June 6, 2016 – .sbs.com.au – The east coast’s fatal wild weather is continuing to wreak havoc, with four people now missing in Tasmania and NSW, houses on Sydney’s northern beaches under threat of collapse, and flooding and road closures.

Three people have been confirmed dead in NSW after their vehicles were swept away by floodwaters, while in Tasmania there were fears for two people whose car was swept away south of Launceston at 2.30am.

More after this ad…..




 
Police said one was found safe and well on Tuesday morning, but the search continues for the second person.

Two elderly people are also missing in Ouse and Latrobe in Tasmania, which copped the brunt of the storm on Monday as NSW started to clean up.

A search will resume for a swimmer missing after entering wild waters at Sydney’s Bondi beach on Tuesday.

more flooding

Emergency services have been left “absolutely frustrated” by people who enter floodwaters despite repeated, clear warnings to stay away from them, with both police and the SES stressing people are placing their lives at great risk by doing so.

“Please heed our advice, your life could depend on it,” Acting Assistant Commissioner Kyle Stewart said, adding many of the 290 flood rescues across NSW could have been avoided.

At Collaroy, significant erosion which led to backyards, balconies and a swimming pool slipping into the sea, is still threatening to take homes after a second king tide on Monday night.

Meanwhile, bridges along the Hawkesbury, including the Windsor and Yarramundi bridges, have been closed with the river peaking early on Tuesday morning.

The North Richmond bridge is still open, but being monitored and could be closed.

The mop-up continues across NSW after powerful storms smashed the state’s coast, with NSW SES still working on the more than 10,180 calls for help.

About 700 properties at Narrabeen were evacuated during the weekend’s wild weather but by Monday evening it was deemed safe for people to return home.

The destructive low-pressure system moved south to Tasmania on Monday and a flood watch has been issued for all Tasmanian river basins.

More than 100 people were rescued from flooded properties in Latrobe, Ouse, Newstead and the Meander Valley, with more than 100 properties inundated across the state.

The Latrobe home of a woman who has gone missing was inundated by water earlier on Monday morning, but her husband was rescued from the roof of their property by helicopter.

Authorities on Monday night suspended the search for a man in his 80s, who was swept away by floodwaters from his Ouse property about 8am.

The search resumed at first light on Tuesday.

The Bureau of Meteorology says the heavy rains inundating Tasmania will not ease until Tuesday, and wet weather is forecast for the rest of the week.
 
Credit .sbs.com.au

Mary Greeley News