The Latest: Death toll rises in North Carolina to 27

The Latest: Death toll rises in North Carolina to 27

The N.C. Department of Transportation says flooding has led to the closing of a bridge over the Cape Fear River in one city as well as part of an interstate over the same river.

A statement from the department Tuesday says it will close the Person Street Bridge in Fayetteville, and also shut down Interstate 95 between mile markers 46 and 56.

Transportation officials are also closely monitoring another bridge in Fayetteville it says will be closed if the water level reaches the girders, which support the deck.

With the impending closure, I-95 will be closed in both directions between exits 13 and 56 and between exits 65 and 81. Near Rocky Mount, southbound traffic is being detoured off the interstate at exit 138 and being sent to Charlotte and into South Carolina.

The Latest: Death toll rises in North Carolina to 27

State transportation officials will continue to monitor water levels and open I-95 as soon as possible.

The National Weather Service says a microburst, not a tornado, caused damage in a town near Boston as the remnants of Hurricane Florence brought strong winds and heavy rains to New England.

Downed trees and tree limbs were reported Tuesday in Saugus, with some of them falling onto homes. A tornado warning had been issued for the area.

The Latest: Death toll rises in North Carolina to 27

A Weather Service survey team inspected the damage later in the day and determined a microburst, or strong storm downdraft, was the cause. The team was trying to determine the estimated wind speeds.

The Weather Service says 5 to 6 inches (12-15 centimeters) of rain were reported to have fallen in parts of Massachusetts. The service issued flash flood warnings and watches for parts of Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut.

North Carolina officials say their state’s death toll from Florence has risen to 27.

The Latest: Death toll rises in North Carolina to 27

Sonja Bennett-Bellamy, a spokeswoman for the Department of Public Safety, said Tuesday that a 46-year-old woman was killed in Rutherford County when a tree fell on her vehicle while she was driving.

The fatality brings the overall storm death toll to at least 35 in three states.

A North Carolina health care system has set up a mobile hospital in a parking lot to provide medical care to people who need help after Florence.

The Latest: Death toll rises in North Carolina to 27

Atrium Health said in a news release that the medical unit, MED-1, was dispatched to the town of Burgaw in Pender County after the local hospital closed because of the storm. A spokesman said it will be the only medical facility within a 50-mile (80-kilometer) radius.

MED-1 is staffed by emergency room doctors, nurses and other medical staff. The group can treat everything from minor injuries to trauma surgery.

The Latest: Death toll rises in North Carolina to 27

Dr. David Callaway, an emergency medicine physician and medical director for MED-1, says the team performed surgery on a woman suffering from diabetes and an abcess in her stomach. Callaway says that had the woman stayed at home a day longer, she might have gotten sicker or possibly died.



Mary Greeley News
www.marygreeley.com

credit: https://apnews.com/b4ac7297614a44d0bc2f9cd671545b46/The-Latest:-Death-toll-rises-in-North-Carolina-to-27