North Korea: Talks with Pompeo ‘regrettable’

North Korea: Talks with Pompeo 'regrettable'

North Korea has said talks with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo are “regrettable”.

“The US attitude and positions at the high-level talks on Friday and Saturday were extremely regrettable,” the North’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

It also accused the US of unilateral demands for denuclearization.

The statement says that America betrayed the spirit of last month’s summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

It says the outcome of the talks was “very concerning” because it has led to a “dangerous phase that might rattle our willingness for denuclearization that had been firm”.

The North’s official KCNA news agency said the result of talks was “extremely troubling”, accusing America of insisting on complete, verifiable and irreversible denuclearization.

Mr. Pompeo arrived in Pyongyang on Friday for a two-day visit – his third trip to the isolated state since taking the secretary of state job in April.

Earlier reports pointed to progress being made between the two countries, with commitments for new discussions on denuclearization and the repatriation of the remains of American soldiers killed during the Korean War.

Before departing Pyongyang, Mr. Pompeo told reporters that his conversations with senior North Korean official Kim Yong Chol had been “productive,” conducted “in good faith” and that “a great deal of progress” had been made in some areas.

He admitted “there’s still more work to be done” in other areas.

North Korea: Talks with Pompeo 'regrettable'

Heather Nauert, State Department spokesperson, tweeted a number of photos during the talks, including one of a beaming Mr Pompeo pictured after the final meeting.

The US politician did not meet with North Korea’s leader during this visit.

Mary Greeley News
www.marygreeley.com

credit: https://news.sky.com/story/north-korea-talks-with-pompeo-regrettable-11429227