An Australian university library was evacuated after a rotting fruit was mistaken for a gas leak.
Firefighters arrived at the campus of RMIT in Melbourne’s CBD around 3pm on Saturday after receiving a call about a suspected gas leak.
About 600 staff and students had cleared the building.
In a statement entitled “Rotten afternoon on campus”, the Metropolitan Fire Brigade described how it conducted a “comprehensive search,” eventually discovering the smell was not a chemical gas but rather the gas emitted from a rotting durian fruit.
The spiky fruit, which has an incredibly pungent smell, had been left rotting in a cupboard, according to the statement.
— 7 News Melbourne (@7NewsMelbourne) April 28, 2018
The smell travelled through the building’s air-conditioning system.
The custardy flesh inside a durian is an acquired taste, with a sweet flavor to some eaters that others find completely unpalatable.
Anthony Bourdain reportedly once said the fruit’s flavor is “indescribable, something you will either love or despise … Your breath will smell as if you’d been French-kissing your dead grandmother.”
As one of the world’s smelliest fruits, durian is forbidden in many taxis and hotels throughout Asia. Singapore’s public transport system has banned the fruit entirely.